Teacher Retirement Contact

  • Payroll/Benefits
Showing results for "Professor named Smith at Elementary School"


    TRS Retirees

    If you're a TRS retiree who plans to work in Texas public education after retirement, you should carefully review all requirements that apply so you don't revoke your retirement or lose monthly annuity payments for work that exceeds the allowable amount. Review the TRS Employment After Retirement Brochure (PDF) to understand these requirements. Please contact TRS if you're considering returning to work in Texas public education after retirement and are unsure whether your employment will affect your retirement or your monthly annuity payment.

    Teacher Retirement


    Policy DEG

    All personnel employed on a regular basis for at least four and one-half months are members of the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS). Substitute not receiving TRS service retirement benefits who work at least 90 days a year are also eligible for TRS membership and to purchase a year of creditable service. TRS provides members with an annual statement of their account showing all deposits and the total account balance for the year ending August 31, as well as an estimate of their retirement benefits.

    Employees who plan to retire under TRS should notify TRS, Lyford CISD Office of Human Resources and the Superintendent’s Office as soon as possible. Information on the application procedures for TRS benefits are available from TRS at Teacher Retirement System of Texas, 1000 Red River Street, Austin, TX 78701-2698, or call 800- 223-8778 or 512-542-6400.

    TRS information is also available on the Web. Click on link: http://www.trs.state.tx.us/

     Forms accessible to TRS members can be obtained by clicking on the link below:


    TRS Forms:



    Form 15 Designation of Beneficiary Form

    Form 18 Request for Estimate of Retirement Benefits



    Form 667Employer Health Benefit Surcharge Information

    ssa_1945 INFORMATION

    Form ssa 1945

    How working for LCISD affects your Social Security benefits

    Statement concerning your employment in a job not covered by Social Security:

    Your earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security.  When you retire, or if you become disabled, you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job.  If you do, and you are also entitled to a benefit from Social Security based on either your own work or the work of your husband or wife, or former husband or wife, your pension may affect the amount of the Social Security benefit you receive.  Your Medicare benefits, however, will not be affected.   Under the Social Security law, there are two ways your Social Security benefit amount may be affected.   

    Windfall Elimination Provision

    Under the Windfall Elimination Provision, your Social Security retirement or disability benefit is figured using a modified formula when you are also entitled to a pension from a job where you did not pay Social Security tax.  As a result, you will receive a lower Social Security benefit than if you were not entitled to a pension from this job.  For example, if you are age 62 in 2005, the maximum monthly reduction in your Social Security benefit as a result of this provision is $313.50.  This amount is updated annually.  This provision reduces, but does not totally eliminate, your Social Security benefit.   For additional information, please refer to the Social Security publication, “Windfall Elimination Provision.” 

    Government Pension Offset Provision

    Under the Government Pension Offset Provision, any Social Security spouse or widow(er) benefit to which you become entitled will be offset if you also receive a Federal, State or local government pension based on work where you did not pay Social Security tax.  The offset reduces the amount of your Social Security spouse or widow(er) benefit by two-thirds of the amount of your pension.    For example, if you get a monthly pension of $600 based on earnings that are not covered under Social Security, two-thirds of that amount, $400, is used to offset your Social Security spouse or widow(er) benefit.  If you are eligible for a $500 widow(er) benefit, you will receive $100 per month from Social Security, $500 - $400 = $100.  Even if your pension is high enough to totally offset your spouse or widow(er) Social Security benefit, you are still eligible for Medicare at age 65.  For additional information, please refer to the Social Security publication, “Government Pension Offset.”   

    For More Information

    Social Security publications and additional information, including information about exceptions to each provision, are available at


    You may also call toll free 1-800-772-1213, or, for the deaf or hard of hearing, call the TTY number 1-800-325-0778, or contact your local Social Security office.